Monday, December 6, 2010

24 years of Judo!

January 2011 would mark my twenty fourth (24th) year anniversary since I started playing Judo. Man, I can't believe it's been that long already since I first put on my judogi and stepped into the tatami mats of a dojo. Looking back through all those years gives me fond memories of people that I have met and competed against in tournaments all for the sake of sportsmanship. I can still remember the days when I would always hit my head on the mat every time I would get thrown because I would always fail to tuck my head in. I remember my first tournament and how my opponent pinned me down causing me top lose the match. back in those days, there were no repercharge system. When you lose, that's it. We had a knock out system. Judokas today are lucky because they can still have a chance to fight again even when they lose a match.

My first instructor was Shigeru Takara Sensei who taught me the fine points of judo basics which included falling techniques and off balancing an opponent. I also had other good teachers like Mr. Maynardo Bugia, Mr. Luis Espiritu, Hiroyuki Watari Sensei, Yoji Yasho Sensei,The late Mr. Epi Quirante and Mr. levi Frias, Mr. Jose Rilloand of course; my uncle Dario Fajardo These were men who unselfishly shaared their knowledge about the sport and eager to develop good judokas. I have great respect for these men and will never forget the lessons they have taught me in my years of playing. I am practically retired from competitions already but there is this burning desire within me to go back to compete again. I am to old already and not in the best shape but I can train again and will see how things turn out. happy 24th judo anniversary to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment